I have no idea where the original recipe came from, but I got a copy of it from a friend and then completely changed it. I don’t really feel bad not giving credit for the original, since this is absolutely nothing like it!
East African Red Lentil Soup
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 rib of celery finely chopped (I leave the celery in large pieces and fish them out before I serve the soup. I love the stuff, but the rest of the fam hates it)
3 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced
3 T berbere (Ethiopian seasoning)
1½ cups red lentils
6 c low sodium vegetable broth
1. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot. Do not heat above its smoke point!
2. Add onions and turn heat to low. Saute onions until soft and translucent (do not brown!).
3. Add remaining ingredients, stirring after each addition.
4. Simmer on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring often.
5. Serve with cottage cheese or yogurt.